Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Alma 29: 9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.


When we, the children of God, progress from hope (belief), to faith (a principle of action), to obedience of a law or commandment, we are “authorized” by our God to perform the act of obedience and obtain the promise of His blessing (knowledge, ref. D&C 130: 20-21). This is what Alma did at the Waters of Mormon (Mosiah 18: all verses). Alma, a self proclaimed sinful man, desired to repent; so, acting on the words (warnings) of the prophet Abinidai, and his own faith, Alma immersed himself with Helam (Mosiah 18: 12), baptizing them both with God’s authority (resident in the law or commandment to repent and be baptized, ref. Acts 2:38). Everyone at the Waters of Mormon were "re-baptized", inasmuch as they were already “members” of the Nephite religion.

Being baptized at age 8 was not my choice, nor was I “accountable” or mature enough to comprehend the act. I later discovered in the truest book on earth (Book of Mormon) that “re-baptism” is doctrinal; but was phased out of practice in the LDS church several generations ago. Here’s an excellent resource on the subject. Also read all of Alma, Chapters 5, 6, & 7 (existing "members" are commanded to be baptized again).

If you’ve read prior posts in this blog, I’ve indicated I believe the LDS church was rejected by the Lord in Nauvoo; but not permanently. I believe our Lord is inviting us now to repent and accept a new covenant with Him. We can recognize it is from Him because the pattern has not changed. It requires repentance and baptism to enter in at His gate, and He is the keeper of that gate and has placed no servant there (2 Nephi 9: 40-41).

On November 25, 2014, I and a few persons close to me, went to a body of “living water” and followed Alma’s example at the Waters of Mormon. My desire was to recommit my life to following my Lord’s example, receive a remission of my sins, and accept His new covenant. 

Oh, wait, isn’t our baptism covenant “renewed” each time we partake of the emblems of the Sacrament? Read the Sacrament prayers and ask yourself if it says your sins are being remitted (Moroni 4th & 5th chapters). Suppose you committed a serious sin and confessed to your bishop; he puts you on probation and restricts you from partaking of the emblems of the Sacrament; at the end of the probation, he announces you may partake of the Sacrament again. So, when, how, and by whom were you forgiven of the sin? According to the truest book on earth, baptism is the ordinance for remission of sins (Moroni 8: 25-26). Of course our Lord can forgive sins at will, as He has paid our debts as our Savior and Redeemer (John 8: 3-11).

In Nephi’s incredible self-examination (ref. 2 Nephi 4: 15-35), the great “stumbling block” revealed by Nephi is trusting in the arm of flesh (man) rather than the Lord alone (2 Nephi 4: 33-35). “Follow the Prophet” is not doctrinal; but we've all been taught the idea since childhood that "prophets" will never be allowed to lead us astray; then what do we do about major mistakes made by Mormon Prophets?. We are told that living prophets trump dead prophets and can change doctrines as needed; but doesn't that confound who and what God is (unchangeable and cannot lie)? Haven't we forfeited our agency by accepting that God has given his authority to fallible man (ref. 2 Nephi 28: 5-6)?

In March of 2017, I was invited to assist with a conference of believers of Jesus Christ, held in St. George, Utah. I fasted and prayed before accepting the invitation, which was that I be at Ivins Reservoir on Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m. to baptize anyone that came for that purpose. The baptism was not into a church; but in similitude of Christ’s example and divine purpose (Matthew 3: 13-17), and to obey His doctrine (2 Nephi 31: all verses; 3 Nephi 11: 31-41). 

A few days later, I had a strong impression to schedule a meeting with my Stake President and express the steps I’ve taken toward spiritual self-reliance (ref. exhibit A below of a redacted copy of a letter I gave him at the meeting). As I left the meeting, the SP promised me “there will be consequences”.

So, a couple of years later, an interview was requested by the new SP on August 8, 2019. After pleasantries were exchanged, I was confronted with the accusation that I had joined a new church and was engaged in recruiting people into it. The SP stated he had personally witnessed me giving a presentation to a group of people at a local restaurant and he knew it was of a “religious nature”. I gave several facts why it was impossible who he saw was me, and asked that he bring forth anyone claiming I’ve attempted to recruit them into a new church; his reply “I know it was you” (it’s pretty humbling to realize the “judge is also the accuser”).

In the second meeting on August 11, 2019, I was told that if I don’t repent and follow my leaders, there was no other option than a disciplinary council. I suggested there was another option … allow me to continue to worship at home according to the dictates of my own conscience (11th Article of Faith); or in simpler words … just leave me alone. 

Two days later two SP counselors delivered a summons to appear before a disciplinary council. Having served as a high council member and having previously delivered the same summons for the same purpose, it was humbling to be on this side of the transaction.

I must say I’m no victim of injustice with all of this; after all, the Holy Spirit and I set this in motion 2½ years earlier. I haven’t been playing cat and mouse with church leaders since then either, and I certainly haven’t been attempting to recruit people into a phantom church. Nevertheless, the time had come to "pony up". I'm grateful to have the love of my Wife and Family; otherwise, this would have been very hard to bear. Most of all, I'm grateful how my Lord has buoyed me up with His own example and words of wisdom:

John 9

[39] And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
Matthew 10
[16] Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
[17] But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
[18] And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
[19] But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
[20] For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
Isaiah 51
[7] Hearken unto me, you that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear you not the reproach of men, neither be you afraid of their revilings.
The disciplinary council occurred the evening of Sunday, August 18, 2019. I prayed the Holy Spirit would prevail over the proceeding, and it did. I brought my Wife and two daughters (both married with families) as my witnesses; not to defend me, but to hear every question or accusation and my answers. I acquired a very personal understanding of the meaning of “… and ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and contrite a spirit” (3 Nephi 9: 20).

After receiving the decision of the SP via regular mail, I prepared and certify-mailed a Letter of Appeal ( ref. exhibit "B") to the 1st Presidency of The Church (™). Four months have elapsed and I’ve received no answer to it.

The Sunday following the disciplinary council (August 25, 2019), a new Stake was announced and the SP who handled my case was transferred to preside over the new stake. So, with the shuffle of some paper, he is no longer responsible for me. A couple of months later, the man that replaced him in my Stake asked for an appointment with me. I assumed it was to discuss my appeal, but he relayed that an area authority (Elder Garcia) wanted him to inquire if I am ready to start on the path of repentance. The SP didn’t know if Elder Garcia was handling my appeal, but said he would get back with me. So, two more months have elapsed without word; am I upset about the silence? No. If I didn’t know where I stand with my Lord, this experience would be frustrating; but it isn’t. I take comfort knowing my Lord hasn't forsaken me (Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God - D&C 18: 10); even though "not so great" in the sight of busy men.



March 20, 2017
President Joseph A. Cottle                                Exhibit “A”
Monroe Utah Stake
140 South Main
Monroe, UT 84754

Re: Hand delivered letter

Dear President Cottle,

                I want to express to you how much I love you and your family, as well as everyone I and my family have lived among and worshiped with for the past sixteen years. During this time, I have witnessed much sincere sacrifice and service for one another in this community of believers of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

                I must thank you for your witness of Christ over these years. I particularly remember hearing you quote D&C 93: 1 several years ago in a Stake Conference. This has become one of my favorite scriptures. I take it literally and am trying to live according to its promise (you shall see my face and know that I am). I have faith this can happen in this mortal life. My relationship with Christ has been most positively affected by becoming familiar with Lectures on Faith. I had never heard of these lectures until approximately six years ago; they are beautiful and my efforts to live by them have brought me closer to my Savior than ever before.

                Over the last six years I have developed a pattern of daily scripture study and prayer, something I have been “hit and miss” with all my life. I have also been very interested in LDS Church history. In studying my family’s genesis in the LDS restoration (my earliest ancestor joined the LDS Church in 1842 in Nauvoo, IL), I have gained greater perspective from the scriptures (particularly Chapter 124 of the D&C) of the trials that befell the Saints from Kirtland through Nauvoo, and after Joseph and Hyrum Smith were martyred. The Holy Spirit confirmed to me these brothers were in fact prophets, seers, and revelators of God (ref. D&C 124: 91-96).

            Joseph Smith taught in D&C 130:18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come. During the past six years, I have read the scriptures and many books and have attended lectures and conferences in my quest for truth, knowledge, and perspective. I have made many friends and was recently invited by some of these friends to help with a conference held in St. George, UT (http://doctrineofchristconference.com). I fasted and prayed over this invitation and received clear instruction from the scriptures and impressions from the Holy Spirit to accept the invitation. It took place on March 18 – 19 and was a beautiful assembly of believers of the Doctrine of Jesus Christ (2 Nephi 31, 3 Nephi 11: 31-41).

                My journey is introducing me to people similar to me (LDS), some who were LDS, Christians of numerous denominations, and some who believe in Jesus Christ but affiliate with no formal religion. I want to make it clear I have not joined a different church and am not flirting with those intentions. I believe, leading up to the coming of Christ, the pure in heart in all the churches of the world, and even many of those “bad” people in the highways (Matt. 22: 1-14) will choose Christ’s invitation to follow Him alone (2 Nephi 4: 34, 2 Nephi 9: 41, D&C 10: 67-68), forsaking the precepts of men.

I intend to share my insights from the scriptures only with those who approach and ask this of me. I hope what I have expressed here is not misperceived as conflicting with the rules of LDS Church. I cherish everything I have experienced in the LDS Church and do not want to resign my membership or lose my fellowship with you, your family and those in our Ward and Stake family. I only want to express myself honestly and truthfully, with love and appreciation for all of you, receiving the same in return (ref. Article of Faith 11).

I am available to speak with you further.

Faithfully, your brother in Christ,
Roy Moore

Exhibit "B"


August 28, 2019
First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 East North Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150

RE: Request for appeal of excommunication of Roy Allen Moore, Jr.
Dear Brethren,
A Disciplinary Council was held on August 18, 2019, to address the accusation against me of ‘conduct unbecoming a member of the Church’. The two hour meeting was conducted by Stake President, Brian Barton and ended with his decision to excommunicate me from the Church.
Key points:        
1.       In the first of two pre-Disciplinary Council meetings on 8/8/19 and 8/11/19, I gave the Stake President a copy of a letter (ref. exhibit ‘A’) I had given to former Stake President, Joseph Cottle, dated 3/20/2017. The current Stake President said he was unaware of the letter. I find it hard to believe President Barton wasn’t briefed by President Cottle during their transition. I would have appreciated follow up long ago as opposed to a few weeks before President Barton was reassigned to a newly created Stake of which my Ward is not assigned.
2.       In a pre-Disciplinary Council meeting on 8/8/19, the Stake President stated he has heard rumors that I’m involved in a different church; he also stated he personally witnessed me giving a presentation to a group of people at a local restaurant six months ago; I responded these rumors are untrue.
This subject was not discussed during the Disciplinary Council in my presence; but may have been shared with the Council participants. If this topic was discussed while I was asked to wait outside, I was not given the opportunity to refute the claim or examine any evidence or witnesses brought to substantiate the accusation.
3.       The Stake President asked whether or not I was ‘re-baptized’; I said ‘yes’ and (1) explained why I took the action. He said he heard I’ve re-baptized my entire family; I said ‘a few but not all and each are adults’. I stated my re-baptism is only to recommit myself to God in the same spirit that Alma and hundreds at the Waters of Mormon did and has nothing to do with joining a different church.
4.       The Stake President asked what I know about ‘Denver Snuffer’ and what interactions I have with him; I answered I have read his books and attended his lectures, but I do not interact with him. I also stated I read many authors on the subject of religion, both within and outside of the Church.
5.       It was stated the leaders of the Church hold keys and authority to govern the affairs of the Lord on the earth; I was asked if I agree with that or not. I responded I don’t dispute their claim of (2) keys; but I have taken full responsibility for my beliefs and actions, and have taken the Holy Scriptures and Holy Spirit as my guide and only submit to The Holy One of Israel (2 Nephi 4: 34-35, 2 Nephi 9: 40-41); after all, He is the only one who can forgive my sins and save my soul.
Many more questions were asked of me and answers given; however, I perceive these are the main reasons for the Disciplinary Council and decision to excommunicate me from the Church.

Brethren, I recognize the privilege I am blessed with being involved with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Through the Church I was introduced to the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Prophet Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon. Local church leaders and members from Richfield, UT encouraged and financially helped me teach and bare witness of the Book of Mormon to the people of Japan. I became convinced of the literal truth of the Book of Mormon over the course of the last 39 years. I believe the Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and warns us how the adversary, using the lure of Babylon, will effectively deceive ‘even the elect’ (2 Nephi, chapter 28). It is by following the message of the Book of Mormon (D&C 84: 54-57) and choosing to worship at home, rather than risk disputing with others at church over my interpretation of warnings in the Book of Mormon, that I am brought before this Disciplinary Council. All I ask for is peace, that I may worship Almighty God according to the dictates of my own conscience; therefore, I appeal to you to please overturn the decision to excommunicate.

Most sincerely,

Roy Allen Moore, Jr.

cc: Stake President Brian Barton
Top of Form

(1)                  Re-baptism:                    Abinidai was commanded by God to call King Noah and his people (Nephites a/k/a Covenant People) to repent and obey their God. Alma was persuaded by the message and chose to carry the Lord’s warning to his family and neighbors. Acting on God’s warnings through the Prophet Abinidai, Alma and others met at the Waters of Mormon to repent and recommit to obey their God. The action of recommitting is ‘re-baptism’. Alma was a wicked and adulterous priest in King Noah’s court, how did he come to believe he was authorized to baptize? Because he accepted the Lord’s message through the Prophet Abinidai and exercised faith that ‘authority’ is resident in every act of obedience to God’s laws (… And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated. D&C 130: 21). Alma’s sins were cleansed at the moment he immersed himself while baptizing Helam (Oh Lord, pour out thy spirit upon thy servant that he may do this work with holiness of heart. And when he had said these words, the Spirit of the Lord was upon him, and he said: Helam, I baptize thee, having authority from the Almighty God ... Mosiah 18: 12-13).
Alma went on to organize 7 churches throughout Zarahemla. Within 40 years, many of the church members were lapsing into sin again. By this time Alma Sr. was dead and his Son, Alma the Younger was the Chief Judge in Zarahemla. Turning over the judgement seat to another, he began a ministry to the 7 churches his father had organized. By examining the entirety of the book of Alma, chapters 5, 6, and 7, Alma is commanding in the name of the Lord, that members of the Lord’s church repent and be baptized again, and those not previously baptized are invited to be baptized, or neither can enter the Kingdom of God. Notice is taken this pattern was consistent even for the righteous people of Gideon (chapters 6 and 7).
The Lord’s warnings through Abinidai most definitely involved repentance and re-baptism. Repentance and baptism are the centerpiece of the Doctrine of Christ found in 2 Nephi, chapters 30 and 31, and also in 3 Nephi 11: 31 through 41. Re-baptism was taught and practiced for repentance and healing during the Joseph Smith era. In 1856, Brigham Young instructed all members to recommit to the Lord through re-baptism (Wikipedia: Rebaptism (Mormonism)).
(2)                  Keys and Authority:                          The Apostle Paul had no ‘keys’, but he was called of Jesus Christ (Galatians 1) and performed as meaningful a mission as did Peter and the other 11. There is only one reference to ‘keys’ in the Book of Mormon found in 1 Nephi 4: 20 (according to Joseph Smith, the truest book upon the earth and containing the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ).

Every individual is given ‘authority’ over self (a/k/a agency) by our Creator. ‘Authority’ by religious leaders is forfeited by unrighteousness (D&C 121: 34-46 - ‘… almost all men, when they obtain a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion’). The Lord explains clearly how ‘authority’ is to be used righteously (D&C 121: 41-46 - ‘No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile …’). Many are called but few are chosen.


No comments:

Post a Comment